Two weeks ago, I tried to take Hannah to baby story time at one of the libraries near our house, and it didn't go so well. She loves music, and we read to her almost every day, so I figured it would be great. The woman who leads it is wonderful, and one of her friends, Luke, from a play group we're in was there with his mom. But Hannah cried almost the whole time... poor kid. She did enjoy playing with Luke and another baby after it ended, but she did not enjoy the actual event.
She liked the first few minutes of it, and even seemed happier than I had been expecting. Then something scared her, and she was very clingy for the rest of the half hour. We were dancing, and she wouldn't even let me extend our arms so that they were out in front of us. I'm not sure if it was because there were a lot of kids there, or because it was noisy, or if it was something else but she was definitely not herself.
She did like playing with a maraca (and eating it!) and when the woman leading the group was blowing bubbles, but otherwise it was a definite miss. They're taking a "hiatus" until after Labor Day, but maybe we'll try to go back then and hopefully she'll enjoy it more.
We have noticed that she seems to be getting more nervous or afraid of things in other places too - I wonder if it's the beginnings of stranger anxiety? She also doesn't like loud noises - i.e., the vacuum cleaner, my Kitchen-Aid mixer, another baby bouncing vigorously in a jumper at a play date the other day. We've been trying to help her be more comfortable, but it's sad to watch!
No comments:
Post a Comment