Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Baby Cereal!


Today was Hannah's first time trying "solid" food! She has been very curious about food for a few weeks now, and we decided that we thought she was ready to try baby cereal.

We had heard conflicting opinions about whether to start babies on food before 6 months or not, but she was clearing showing a lot of the signs that she could handle it (watching us eat, sitting up with support, growing appetite, doubling her birth weight, etc.). We were pleasantly surprised - she actually really seemed to enjoy it!

Our doctor had recommended that we feed her oat cereal instead of rice cereal because rice cereal can make babies constipated (I won't go into too many details, but I'm starting to think constipation isn't a problem for her anymore since we've changed 3 heinous diapers in public in the last 3 days... but oh well). I bought Earth's Best Organic Whole Grain Oatmeal because that was what some of my mommy friends recommended.

We mixed 1 teaspoon of the cereal with 4 teaspoons of breast milk, so it was very liquid-y. It was actually like Hannah was drinking from a spoon, but she ate almost all of it (except for what ended up on her bib). We were expecting her to spit it out because we had heard that that's what a lot of babies do, but she even acted like she wanted more!

A few times, it seemed like she wanted to hold the spoon herself, but I think we'll hold off on that for a little while!

I'm so excited to start this food journey with her - today was a really special day for me. We're so proud of you, munchkin! We can't wait to see what foods you like and don't like. I will be keeping a list on the side of the blog - check it out as I add to it!

PS - how fun is this bib? My parents brought it back for Hannah from one of their many world travels! If I remember correctly, I think it's from China?


And here are a few videos of Hannah eating:





No comments:

Post a Comment