Dan was out of town, so Hannah and I went to a farmer's market and the grocery store. We bought carrots, sweet potatoes, pears and apples. We've spent a while trying to figure out what we wanted to feed Hannah as her first foods, and settled on these 4 fruits and veggies.
First I peeled the carrots, steamed them, and pureed them in the food processor. Since I was making so much food at once, I transferred all of the carrots into ice cube trays and froze them.
Then I baked the apples and pears, peeled them, and then pureed them. It was not nearly as easy as steaming them, so I don't think I'll do it that way again. I pureed the apples in a smaller food processor, and they didn't get smooth enough. I tried straining them, but it didn't work, so I ended up putting them into the bigger food processor and doing it a second time. I won't be using the little food processor again - too much effort! Into the freezer they went.
Finally, we baked the sweet potatoes along with the sweet potatoes that we were having with our dinner. I then peeled them, pureed them, and stored most of it in the freezer. Since that was going to be Hannah's first food (other than cereal), I reserved a good amount in the fridge.
We decided that we're going to introduce new foods to her on Sundays and Wednesdays. That way Dan can be involved in half of the new foods, and we'll have a fair amount of time between foods to make sure she doesn't have an allergic reaction.
Although it took me a long time, I had a great time making the food and we now have lots stored in the freezer!
Some cookbooks that I've found helpful so far:
No comments:
Post a Comment