Continuing with the theme of yesterday's post, I figured I'd share my two cents about kids' books.
I've always loved children's books, so I was really excited to build our reading library when I found out I was pregnant. At our baby shower, the guests were asked to give Hannah a favorite children's book so that we could share them with her in the years to come. We've also received some great books from people who didn't even know we had asked for books, so that made us happy as well.
Some of the classic children's books we received included Goodnight Moon (from my parents, as it was my favorite book when I was little), The Little Engine That Could, The Giving Tree, Blueberries for Sal, Richard Scarry, Madeline, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs and Where the Wild Things Are.
We also received On the Night You Were Born, which is a WONDERFUL story about how the animals and the wind and the moon rejoiced about the baby's birth. Not only do we love it, but my parents do also - they even bought a copy for themselves!
Besides that, we've also discovered how much we love Sandra Boynton's books; they're very silly. Another one of our favorites is If Kisses Were Colors.
One book that I've always loved is The Little House - it's an old book (from 1943) but I think it's still meaningful. We haven't gotten a copy yet for Hannah, but we definitely will!
We've also joined the PJ Library, a great organization that provides free books every month about Jewish topics to children, ages 6 months to 5 years (or older, depending on the community). Funded by philanthropic donations, this program apparently provides books to more than 70,000 families! We can't wait to start receiving our books!
I went to a speaker a few weeks ago as part of a mother's group I joined, and I was horrified by her opinions. She basically made me feel bad because we haven't been reading at least 3 books a day to Hannah every day since she was born. Seriously? She told me that if we don't catch up soon, Hannah will be behind in her reading. Considering that Dan and I both love to read, we were both read to as children, my mom was a librarian, and I started reading at a very early age, I don't think we have anything to worry about. Thanks a lot, crazy lady!
I also took a great book out of the library yesterday - A Family of Readers. It was recommended to me by another new mom; it has awesome information about ways to enrich your children's lives through reading.
Do you have any suggestions for children's books we shouldn't miss?
I've always loved children's books, so I was really excited to build our reading library when I found out I was pregnant. At our baby shower, the guests were asked to give Hannah a favorite children's book so that we could share them with her in the years to come. We've also received some great books from people who didn't even know we had asked for books, so that made us happy as well.
Some of the classic children's books we received included Goodnight Moon (from my parents, as it was my favorite book when I was little), The Little Engine That Could, The Giving Tree, Blueberries for Sal, Richard Scarry, Madeline, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs and Where the Wild Things Are.
We also received On the Night You Were Born, which is a WONDERFUL story about how the animals and the wind and the moon rejoiced about the baby's birth. Not only do we love it, but my parents do also - they even bought a copy for themselves!
Besides that, we've also discovered how much we love Sandra Boynton's books; they're very silly. Another one of our favorites is If Kisses Were Colors.
One book that I've always loved is The Little House - it's an old book (from 1943) but I think it's still meaningful. We haven't gotten a copy yet for Hannah, but we definitely will!
We've also joined the PJ Library, a great organization that provides free books every month about Jewish topics to children, ages 6 months to 5 years (or older, depending on the community). Funded by philanthropic donations, this program apparently provides books to more than 70,000 families! We can't wait to start receiving our books!
I went to a speaker a few weeks ago as part of a mother's group I joined, and I was horrified by her opinions. She basically made me feel bad because we haven't been reading at least 3 books a day to Hannah every day since she was born. Seriously? She told me that if we don't catch up soon, Hannah will be behind in her reading. Considering that Dan and I both love to read, we were both read to as children, my mom was a librarian, and I started reading at a very early age, I don't think we have anything to worry about. Thanks a lot, crazy lady!
I also took a great book out of the library yesterday - A Family of Readers. It was recommended to me by another new mom; it has awesome information about ways to enrich your children's lives through reading.
Do you have any suggestions for children's books we shouldn't miss?
Great books. I always liked the Story About Ping which someone was nice enough to make available as a .PDF at http://www.arvindguptatoys.com/arvindgupta/ping.pdf.
ReplyDelete