Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Color Sorting and Parking Cars!

One of Hannah's current favorite activities is sorting things into color categories.  She'll do it with anything - she even placed her stickers in somewhat color-divided sections on a piece of paper yesterday!

The other day, she and Dan played a game where they took all of the wooden pieces from her stacking toy and sorted them into color piles.  As you can see from the photo below, they grouped them on top of these really soft washcloths that Kate and Sean gave us.  Hannah now loves to play with them - she "hides" behind them, pretends they are diaper changing mats for her dolls, and likes to place them on top of other things.  (we know - it's a little random, but she loves it.)


I took the game a step further and got out the "rainbow swisher" toy that she had gotten as part of our busy bag exchange and we talked about all of the colors on it and what all the different ribbons felt like.  Then we matched up the washcloths to the colors on the toy.  I got out the pom-poms and she LOVED sorting them by color!!!!

 



In case you're confused after watching the end of the video, she likes to say "cheers" and touch 2 things together whenever they're the same. I taught her to do it with our drinks, and she liked it so much that we started doing it with everything.  Now she does it all the time.

Today I made a "parking lot" for her cars using different colors of electrical tape.  We had a lot of fun playing with it - she understood immediately what to do!  (I can't take credit for the idea - I read about it here).


We had to make some adjustments as we went along - I hadn't made pink or purple lines!  Silly me.  :) Since we didn't have electrical tape in those colors, I just used masking tape and colored on it with pink and purple markers.  We also got rid of the black lines - apparently we don't have any cars that are black.  Oops.

We also played with the ramp and tunnel that Grandpa had made her over Thanksgiving weekend!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment