Sunday, November 4, 2012

Halloween with Hannah

We had the best time celebrating Halloween this year.  As I've mentioned before, Halloween is one of my favorite holidays.  I think it might actually be even better with a child of my own than when I was younger!

We did a lot of different Halloween-themed activities in October, so I'm going to do my best to summarize all of them here...

Trick-or-Treat at an Assisted Living Facility

On October 26, Hannah and I went trick-or-treating with a bunch of our friends at Haverhill Crossings.  The residents really enjoyed seeing all of the toddlers dressed up in costume, and the kids were excited to get candy!  (We didn't give her any of the candy because most of it was Tootsie Rolls and I was afraid she would choke on them.)

Hannah's favorite part was that a few of the residents had little dogs and she liked saying hi to them.  She also liked putting the candy in her bag!

We tried to take photos of the kids beforehand, but (no surprise!) it was hard to get everyone to sit still and look at the camera at the same time.

My poor little purple dragon!

Friday Mom's Costume Play-date

Our Friday playgroup had a costume day at the same time as the trick-or-treating I just described.  We made it there for most of the time, but missed being in on the photos of the kids dressed up.  We had fun playing at a playground in costume though!

Halloween Boo Bash

Momtourage has an annual Halloween event for families, so Dan came along with us.  It was a lot of fun, and I really enjoyed spending time with people we haven't seen in a while.  We've been so busy lately that we (sadly!) haven't done much with that group.

There were games (including a parachute) and coloring and stickers that Hannah really enjoyed.  It was also nice to see so many kids dressed up in cute costumes!

Trying to steal Daddy's name-tag
The back of her costume - I love the wings!
She got her own name-tag!
Asking for more animal crackers
Asking AGAIN for more animal crackers
Parachute time!
CMC Halloween Party

We also went to the Halloween party for another group that we're part of.  Dan came to this one too, and had a lot of fun playing with Hannah with all of the different games and activities they had set up.  My friend Sadie planned the whole event; it was really nice!

Making a trick-or-treat bag
Eating MY sugar cookie!
I think the bucket was a little too heavy!
Stealing the prize bag
Fangs!

Decorating a Pumpkin

I didn't really trust Hannah around a big knife while we were carving a pumpkin, so I was really excited to discover Mr. Potato Head pumpkin decorations at Target!  I thought she would like the witch one, and she loves Mr. Potato Head so I knew she would be excited about the idea.

She LOVED watching Dan put the pieces into the pumpkin and tried to help him with a few of the pieces.  I had so much fun watching them and taking pictures.

"Do you like my earring?"
She thought the cauldron was full of soup!

Ryan's Birthday/Halloween Play-date

Hannah's friend Ryan's birthday is the day before Halloween, so we celebrated his birthday at our Wednesday play-group at their house.  Jen had planned some really fun activities for the kids!

Decorating pumpkin sugar cookies
Her cookie is so orange because she dumped the whole bottle on it!
Decorating paper pumpkins
Pin the Tail on Eeyore!

HALLOWEEN!

We took Hannah out trick-or-treating for the first time on Halloween night.  She enjoyed it even more than I expected her to.  Other than the fact that she refused to walk on her own, she had a great time.

From the minute we stepped outside, she was curious and excited.  She even said "night night" because it was so dark outside our house.  We taught her to say "trick or treat" but she would only say it before or after anyone opened the door - never directly to them.  She did say "thank you" in sign language a lot though.

Her favorite part was putting things in her bag.  She also really liked the houses where people had dogs or cats, or a lot of decorations.  I think her new favorite word might be "pumpkin!"  (which for some reason, sounds to me like she's saying "Barbara.")



She really liked this inflatable lawn decoration at one house

Examining her "loot"

Eating a chocolate

Halloween Party

Last but certainly not least, we had Hannah's Halloween party this past Saturday.  It was great for me, because I was able to buy a bunch of stuff on clearance before the party.  I think maybe people were Halloween-ed out though, because we didn't have nearly as big of a turnout as we'd hoped for.

We really enjoyed the party though, and I think our guests had a great time.  How funny - it was Hannah and 9 boys!  She was the only girl that was at the party at all.  People came and went based on nap-time, which actually made it a lot easier to have conversations with everyone.

Hannah didn't end up wearing her costume for very much of the party, but actually asked to put it back on again once everyone had left.

The kids decorated pumpkins and ghosts, and we had a lot of Halloween-themed food and decorations.  I love hosting parties, so it was a lot of fun!  (and I have a few tricks up my sleeve already for next year's party!)

Helping to put plastic spiders in ice cube trays
Coloring her pumpkin
Playing with Daddy

No comments:

Post a Comment